Postgraduate Program Director, Periodontology
Tufts School of Dental Medicine
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUSDM) offers one of the most forward-looking educational environments in dental medicine worldwide. This education occurs in an ethical and professional environment in which quality oral health care is provided to our patients. Since its founding in 1868, TUSDM has been committed to excellence in patient care, education, research, and community service.
TUSDM invites applications and nominations for the Director of the Postgraduate Program in Periodontology. The advanced education program in periodontology is designed to provide dentists with the knowledge and skills to meet the Commission on Dental Accreditation standards for certification in this specialty. Its comprehensive curriculum is based on the biomedical and clinical sciences required to achieve the goals and objectives of the program. Moreover, the department believes that board certification is a critical step in professional growth and emphasizes a mindset towards achievement of this goal.
Presently the three-year curriculum provides training in clinical periodontology, implant therapy, sedation, oral medicine, clinical research and teaching skills. The program prides itself from a long tradition of excellent training in a diverse and tolerant environment.
Reporting directly to the Chair of the department, the Director will:
- Be responsible for delivering all aspects of the advanced graduate didactic and clinical education of the Postgraduate Program in the Department of Periodontology at TUSDM.
- Oversee the clinical activities and patient management in the postgraduate clinic. Work closely with the faculty, residents, and staff to ensure that the best possible evidenced based treatment is being rendered for all patients.
- Work closely with the departmental course directors and faculty to monitor and coach resident progress through the program.
- Mentor periodontal residents in research and support other mentoring faculty to ensure the successful progress and completion of resident research projects.
- Work with the Chair to provide professional growth and development opportunities for junior faculty, serve on committees of the TUSDM, and accept other assignments from time to time at the request of the Department Chair and/or Dean.
Qualified applicants must hold a DMD/DDS degree from a US or Canadian dental school accredited by the ADA Commission on Dental Accreditation, or a comparable foreign degree, a Certificate in Advanced training in Periodontology, and Diplomate Certification by the American Board of Periodontology. Applicants must hold a valid dental license in some state or jurisdiction and be eligible for a regular license or faculty license in the State of Massachusetts. Academic rank, tenure, and compensation will be commensurate with experience and accomplishments.
Additional qualities will include:
- Recognized and experienced leader in academic clinical periodontology with a strong track record of accomplishment and administrative experience in academic settings.
Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal, communication, collaborative and team building skills consistent with a diverse academic environment are critical attributes.
- Record of commitment to innovation in education, research, and patient care.
- Have the educational and clinical qualifiers to participate in moderate sedation.
- Evidence of teaching excellence, active engagement in periodontal research, and student mentoring will be considered.
- Strong preference will be given to applicants who hold a Ph D or M.S. degree.
- Strong Preference will be given to applicants with track record of experiences in digital dentistry.
- Strong preference will be given to applicants with a robust track record of scholarly accomplishments and extramural funding.
The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. All application materials (Letter of Interest, C.V., three references) must be submitted online through Interfolio.
Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Visit our website for more information about the Tufts University School of Dental Medicine http://dental.tufts.edu/.