Located in the heart of Boston’s Longwood Medical Area, the Harvard School of Dental Medicine ranks as one of the preeminent dental schools in the country. Established in 1867, HSDM was the first dental school in the United States to be connected with a university and coordinated with its medical school. HSDM’s vision is to set the standard of excellence in and to define the future of interdisciplinary dental education, state-of-the-art clinical practice, and cutting-edge basic, clinical, and translational research. With this vision as our guide, the School is dedicated to developing and fostering a community of global leaders advancing oral and systemic health. For more information about the Harvard School of Dental Medicine, please visit: http://hsdm.harvard.edu/.
The Office of Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging promotes increased recruitment, retention, and advancement of underrepresented minority students, faculty and staff at the Harvard School of Dental Medicine. The Office seeks to emulate the Harvard tradition of excellence in education, science, and public health by supporting a well-trained faculty, while creating oral health leaders reflecting the larger community that we serve.
The Harvard School of Dental Medicine invites applications for a full-time Assistant or Associate Dean of Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging position. Academic rank and salary will be commensurate with education, experience, and qualifications.
Job-specific responsibilities include:
- Develop and/or lead initiatives to recruit diverse students and faculty, particularly those from underrepresented groups in medicine;
- Represent HSDM, both within Harvard and externally, at conferences concerning multicultural issues in higher education;
- Focus on student admissions to ensure that the School draws candidates from underrepresented and diverse backgrounds;
- Work with faculty search committees and department chairs to develop recruitment strategies to attract diverse candidates and utilize best practices for searches;
- Provide support and guidance for HSDM services and programs that enhance inclusive excellence and help foster a culturally sensitive and appropriate climate and culture by evaluating curricula, sponsoring symposia, promoting speaker series and engaging in other developmental initiatives.
- Lead a committee on Diversity and Inclusion composed of faculty, staff and students;
- Collaborate with HMS Dean for Diversity Inclusion and Community Partnership, as well as representatives from the Office of the Assistant to the President for Institutional Diversity and Equity (H-OAP) and Faculty Development and Diversity;
- Work with the Dean’s Office on the continued management and implementation of actions based on the 2020-2021 climate survey with a continuation of focus groups in the support of staff, faculty and students at HSDM; Present findings and recommendations to inform actions that support the promotion of diversity, inclusion, and belonging for HSDM;
- Within the School, the Assistant Dean also works closely with the Office of Dental Education and the Office of Human Resources to support these initiatives.
Basic Qualifications: Candidates must hold a Doctoral/Terminal Degree in education, health professions (medicine, dentistry, pharmacy), or other relevant field. A dental degree (DMD or DDS) and eligibility for a Massachusetts dental license is strongly preferred. A proven background and experience with diversity, inclusion, and belonging concepts, issues, and best practices required.
Additional Qualifications: Knowledge of higher education operations and/or student support services/programs preferred. Excellent writing and presentation skills, with experience communicating across a wide variety of audiences including different sizes, types of departments, and group composition.
Required Applicant Submissions: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, their curriculum vitae and names of 3 references. In order to be considered for this position, you must apply online through the following link: https://academicpositions.harvard.edu/postings/10501.
Diversity Statement: The Harvard School of Dental Medicine values diversity among its faculty, is strongly committed to building a culturally diverse intellectual community, and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities.