- Help prepare the next generation of Dental Practitioners
- Opportunity to train dental students in didactic, pre-clinical and clinical settings
- Multiple full-time opportunities for 3 years with base salary $104 – $147K p.a plus superannuation plus dental clinical loading where appropriate
About the opportunity
We are seeking to appoint three full-time clinical educators to add strategic academic needs of the students and staff of the School. Aside from their work in the clinical and simulation environments, the clinical educators will be expected to engage more broadly in aspects of University teaching and education, such as scholarly engagement, planning and coordinating teaching, and assessment and curriculum development. A significant community partnership exists between the Sydney Dental School and local private dental practitioners.
We are looking for dentists with knowledge and skills in dental education; specific clinical expertise to teach and supervise students; and the proven ability to capitalise on existing community partnership. You will have experience in developing and implementing programs of study as well as exceptional teaching performance. A PhD is desirable as is Graduate Certificate in Higher Education.
Successful applicants would be expected to work across several locations, such as Sydney Dental Hospital, Westmead Centre for Oral Health, University of Sydney campuses and the Nepean Centre for Oral Health. They may also be required to supervise students at a private practice on behalf of the University.
Depending on the level of experience, these appointments will be made at either a Lecturer or Senior Lecturer level (US equivalent of Assistant Professor).
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for Clinical Educators who have:
- PhD in an academic field relevant to the discipline is desired or other higher professional qualifications appropriate
- Dental degree (eg DMD/DDS, Bachelor of Dentistry) and eligibility for appropriate registration with the Dental Board of Australia
- expertise working in a clinical setting following pedagogical principles
- deep and broad experience in teaching and learning in a tertiary environment
- success in designing, implementing and evaluating teaching and learning initiatives
- experience in supervising or mentoring others or coordinating team activities
- demonstrated capacity to stimulate, actively engage and educate an audience using a range of media
For consideration at a Senior Lecturer level, we are looking for candidates to demonstrate:
- excellence in research clinical or scholarly activities relevant to educational design and practice
- innovation and applied understanding of contemporary pedagogical practices in the discipline
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia’s first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 7,600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 558/0319F to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm 22 April 2019
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.