East Carolina University
Special Care Dentistry Faculty
Vacancy #: 600040
Recruitment Range: Commensurate with Qualifications
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Organizational Unit Overview
The Division of Health Sciences is the largest and most complex division within the University, employing more than 700 EPA employees and 1,700 SPA employees. The Division is composed of numerous Centers, Institutes, and agencies such as East Carolina Heart Institute and Eastern Area Health Education Center, the Colleges of Allied Health Sciences, Nursing, the Brody School of Medicine, the School of Dental Medicine, and the Laupus Health Science Library. In addition to the Academic and Administrative responsibilities of the division, the four professional schools provide clinical services throughout eastern North Carolina in a variety of settings and venues.
The School of Dental Medicine is composed of ten administrative offices and four academic departments. The Administrative units include the Offices of the Dean, Vice Dean, Associate Dean for Student Affairs, Associate Dean for Research, Innovation and Discovery, Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs, Assistant Dean for Extramural Clinical Practices, Assistant Dean for Dental Education and Informatics, Assistant Dean for Educational Support and Faculty Development, Assistant Dean for Academic Success and the Executive Director for Business and Financial Affairs. The four academic departments are Surgical Sciences, Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, General Dentistry and Foundational Sciences and Research.
Included in the mission of the School of Dental Medicine is to educate dental care providers (both dental students and dental residents) and to address the oral health care needs of the underserved population of North Carolina. The School of Dental Medicine meets these missions by operating dental clinics that provide both educational experiences for the dental students and residents and provides dental care to the residents of North Carolina. These clinics occur in both Ross Hall in Greenville, North Carolina, as well as Community Service Learning Centers located throughout North Carolina. In order to operate these clinics, appropriate dental auxiliaries and clinical staff are needed.
The Special Care Dentistry Faculty member is responsible for facilitating the ECU School of Dental Medicine’s commitment to providing care for patients with special needs and to preparing students and residents for caring for such patients in their future practice. The SCD Faculty Member oversees and directs the Special Care Suite in the School of Dental Medicine’s Ross Hall, coordinating and providing patient care in that location, while also maintaining a regular Operating Room Schedule at Vidant Medical Center and affiliated Surgi-Center for patients in need of special dental care services. In addition to providing direct patient care in inpatient and outpatient settings, responsibilities include the advanced training of residents and dental students in all facets of treating general and special needs patients. The Special Care Dentistry Faculty reports directly to the Chair of the Department of General Dentistry and works closely with the Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs and other administrators.
Specific duties include:
- Provides service in the outpatient and hospital setting in a manner that is appropriate for the patient’s age and clinical condition
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to meet the patient’s physical, psychosocial, educational and safety needs
- The Special Care Suite will provide care for a wide range of people with special needs including those with:
- Learning and/or physical disabilities
- Mental health diagnosis
- Dental phobias
- Medically complex patients
- Morbidly obese patients and others who cannot transfer from a wheelchair for dental care
- Produce effective communication with all users of the service, including referring colleagues and organizations
- Promote Special Care Dentistry by forging links with other professional colleagues as well as external organizations such as the learning disabilities team, hospital consultants and other health care providers
- Actively engage in community outreach and service activities on a regular basis, with particular emphasis on working with special populations
- DDS or DMD degree (or equivalent)
- Certificate from a CODA-accredited General Practice Residency or Advanced Education in General Dentistry Program
- Ability to be licensed in the State of North Carolina
- Experience in providing dental treatment to patients in the operating room
- Experience serving a Special Needs Patient population
- Experience with electronic record keeping and digital imaging
- Commitment to evidence-based teaching and practice
- Experience in community outreach activities
- Willingness to apply academic experiences of contemporary dental education and traditional educational values to the ECU School of Dental Medicine educational model
- Commitment to the Mission and Vision of the School of Dental Medicine including both a community-based and generalist model of education
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- Experience in resident evaluation
- Certification to provide oral sedation
- ACLS certification
- Completion of a formalized training program for treating patients with special needs
Special Instructions to Applicant
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. In addition to submitting a candidate profile online, please submit online the required applicant documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- List of Three References (noting contact information)
Additional Instructions to Applicants
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. Additionally, applicants that possess the preferred education and experience must also possess the minimum education/experience, if applicable.
Applications will be considered until position is filled. Please submit an online ECU application for vacancy # 600040 to ECU Human Resources at http://jobs.ecu.edu
East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Visit this job posting at https://ecu.peopleadmin.com/postings/17564